To take care of your health and body, it is necessary to learn the best posture for sitting at a desk all day. Most people have bad posture. Sitting all day in front of computers and electronic devices takes a toll on our bodies. A lot of jobs require that you sit at a desk all day. It isn’t always possible to get up and stay active.
Research has shown that sitting for long periods of time can increase the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. It also constricts nerves, causes back pain and compresses abdominal organs leading to poor digestion.
Correct Sitting Posture
Proper sitting posture at the computer is important for your back and health. There are a few simple guidelines that you can follow to find the best posture for sitting at a desk all day.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor or a footrest.
- Do not cross your legs, knees or ankles.
- Keep a small space between your knees and the seat of the chair.
- Your knees should be at the same height as your hips or slightly lower.
- Ankles should be in front of your knees.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Don’t slump over rest elbows on your desk.
- Knees and forearms should be parallel to the floor.
- Elbows should be at your sides.
- Sit up straight and do not slump to one side.
- Look forward to prevent neck strain.
- Top of the monitor screen should be at eye level. Use a monitor stand if needed.
- Monitor should be an arm’s length away.
- Your back should rest against the back of your chair or a backrest.
- Take a 10 minute break every hour and get up and move.
- Position your keyboard 4-6 inches away from the edge of your desk so your wrists have a place to rest.
- Use an ergonomic mouse and mousepad to prevent wrist strain.
- Keep frequently used items, such as pens and your stapler, close by so you don’t have to stretch or turn to get them.
- Use a hands-free headset if you are on the phone a lot.
- Use a document stand, so you don’t have to look down and strain your neck.
- Your forearms should be at a 90-degree angle from your upper arms. Having your keyboard too high or too low can cause elbow and shoulder pain.
Best Posture for Sitting at a Desk all Day
Finding the best posture for sitting at a desk all day is important. Bad posture can actually change the shape of your spine and cause physical issues. By investing in ergonomic products such as a chair, mouse, mouse pad, monitor stand or even a stand up desk can help you on your way to improving your posture.
In today’s job market sitting all day is the new normal. If you spend most of your time sitting, take care of yourself. Learn how to improve your posture and avoid preventable injuries and strains. By following the above tips you can achieve good posture.
To Fix your Sitting Position or Posture, Book a Session With Our Exercise Physiologists
If you sit for long periods of time, you can be causing damage to your body. If you want to learn more about finding the best posture for sitting at a desk all day or to correct your posture, give Sydney Sports and Exercise Physiology a call today.